Sunday, May 13, 2007

Wikipedia

Some of Wikipedia's finest writing and reporting appears in the Wikipedia Signpost, which I find myself reading with some frequency in between Daikatana play sessions - in spite of my better judgment. There is a void in every person's soul which must be constantly filled with a steady stream of gossip and minutiae. Logically speaking, it seems amusing to write this mundane tendency off as a "survival trait" when the result - sitting in one's overstuffed (or, in my case, blood flow-restricting) computer chair for excessive amounts of time.

You can imagine, then, that I drew in a sharp breath when my computer-weakened corneas fixed on the following statement in the latest Signpost:

"Admin Jiang ... was indefinitely blocked and desysopped after deleting the main page. Jiang admitted on his user talk page that his password was "fuckyou", which is one of the most commonly used passwords."

In the computer world, loss of the virtual self is tantamount to death. Writing sentences like this is tantamount to taking out shares in Freud, LLC (currently trading for pennies over the counter). Ah, where was I going with this? Too blasted late to think straight. That's rare for me; usually my mysterious statements are conscious experiments in surrealism.

Definitely rethink having "fuckyou" as a password.

I've got a bit on my mind. Big eBay auction about to expire. Need to look up a real college to attend (or at least a more realer one than I'm at now). Gotta get some small CFL bulbs for my ceiling lamp. Tomorrow, I'm going to be sitting in on a presentation to provide emergency tech help on a power point if so needed (yes, I should have written up some information on my volunteer work for this summer, but that's alright; next time!) Thinking still about the FBI and Peltier. Got my good computer working again - no idea what the problem was, although I've now connected the fan. Didn't realize that the PSU (power supply) I replaced was a 500 Watt Seasonic (with an Antec Truepower Trio capable of pushing out 550W, which loses all sorts of cool points for being a Best Buy purchase - I will say that it at least shouldn't be less efficient than the Seasonic; both are marketed as being "up to 85% efficient") until today when I glanced at the box - I had thought that I went with a 430W model again. I should offer to replace somebody's 430W PSU with that one, then (I'm not about to switch back to the Seasonic because the wires are messier than in the Antec, which I have bundled up just the way I like).

No comments: